Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Deception #5: Delay the Dream (I'll Pursue My Strengths Later)


Should you put off working on your dream job until later in life when you are more financially stable and other circumstances seem more promising? Investor Warren Buffett wryly says, “This is a little like delaying sex for old age”.

Pursue your strengths aggressively starting now and don’t stop, ever!

That doesn’t mean you won’t need a “day job”. That doesn’t mean that there won’t be delays, defeats, disappointments, denials and even a few dead horses on the strengthspath. There certainly will be. Stanford University Professors Lorna Catford and Michael Ray talk about “The Path of the Everyday Hero” in their brilliant book by that title. They suggest that all of us are somewhere on this archetypical pathway that includes the following phases:

Innocence – The easy, safe, and comfortable place

Call to Adventure - The beginning of the journey often precipitated by a crisis

Initiation - The acceptance of the call including the first step taken without guarantees

Dips, Disappointments, Delays, Defeat, Discouragement

Allies – People and resources come, sometimes it seems out of nowhere providing protection and advice

Breakthrough – The allies provide the way for successful resolution of the crisis or accomplishment of the task

Celebration – The journey ends with the hero’s return, bringing gifts or wisdom accumulated on the path.

The weekend before writing this, Susy and I went to see Mission Impossible 4. MI4 follows this outline very closely as does most every good movie you’ve seen and every good book you’ve read. It’s the outline for just about every Bible story I can think of. If we look closely, this is your life and my life when we are living it well.

Catford and Ray also share that the creative process is very closely aligned with this thing they call the hero’s path. The creative steps they suggest are Preparation, Frustration, Incubation, Strategizing, Illumination, and Verification. I identify with all this in the process of creating blogs, books, career design, and the strengthspathing I talk about here.



Seth Godin, in his book The Dip gives great insight into all this with regard to a very particular hero’s call that he describes as “Becoming Best In The World”. This little book offers up great contemporary examples from the worlds of business, entertainment, athletics, and his own life. He also offers up some suggestions that will help you figure out if you are experiencing a dip/delay or if you are in fact riding a dead horse. If it is a dead horse then of course the only sensible thing to do is dismount.



Your Moment of Truth: Now is your time to start down your strengthspath!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coaching, Class, and Collaborator Comments

The Purpose of this letter is to describe the benefits I enjoyed from my coaching experience with Dale Cobb. I had a very specific issue, which I needed help getting over the hump with. Our conversations were very helpful in keeping me on track and getting me to the finish line. I believe that Dale is a keen observer of the human condition and has the ability to reflect back an individuals thoughts and goals as one strives for success. I found the services offered by Dale to be timely and effective. In the future, I am sure I will be presented with challenges that require outside assistance. When that time comes, I will not hesitate to call on Dale for his fresh bright and insightful guidance.

Joe Sexton, Managing Partner, CFR Executive Search, Chicago, Illinois

“Working with Dale has always been rewarding. Dale has always been on the leading edge developing new ways of marketing his products and services. Always willing to try new approaches and follow through... Always convincing.”

Fred Friday, Junk King Franchise Owner, Chattanooga, Tennessee

"Dale has always impressed me with his integrity, marketing insights, compassion and follow through. He thinks outside the box, asks the questions that others fail to ask and has a real heart for training others to be the best they can be. You can count on Dale."

Tim Turner, Owner Turner Strategic, Atlanta, Georgia

“Dale is always the most prepared person in the room. He has the ability to listen and clarify the issue at hand. He is a creative, caring leader. He has always been a joy to work with.”

Beverly Sherman, Owner Creative Connections, Lansing, Michigan

“I would like to take the opportunity to offer my recommendation for Dale Cobb. He has the remarkable ability to clearly listen to a problem, understand the issues and suggest a course of action that satisfies the needs of me and my clients. I cannot tell you how many times his advice was precisely what I needed to close a deal or carefully resolve a difficult situation. He is resourceful and creative in his teaching style. Over all he helped me to be more efficient and successful in my career.”

Michael Ward, Houston, Texas

“Dale gives attention to detail and runs one of the best team meetings I’ve ever seen. He has the keen ability to make complex things seems simple enough that anyone could understand them.”

Elwyn Henderson, Owner-Partner Mosaic Images, Gilmer, Texas

“Thank you for all your time and encouragement. With your advice and direction, I was able to get a decent job offer. They even complimented my resume.”

Ben Davidson, Visalia, CA