Monday, December 26, 2011

Spotting The Dominant Gift In Others



It's hard for me to imagine a greater gift than to find someone's greatest talent and shine the light on it. Most of our environments are not geared to do this. It rarely happens at home, it rarely happens at church, and it rarely happens in the workplace. Mike Murdock shares his own mistake with this in his book "The Law of Recognition". He begins:

“Greatness is within those you love. You must find it. You must focus on it. You must see it as the gift of God to you. Everything you do not have has been carefully stored in someone near you. Love is the secret map to that treasure.

One of the major mistakes in my life happened many years ago. A young lady worked for me who was incredibly spontaneous, happy, and joyful. When she walked into a room, everything smiled. Her gift was enthusiasm. She headed my music company.

One day, I pulled open the filing cabinets. Everything was in disarray. Bank statements had been misfiled and labeled. It looked like a catastrophe. Upset, I called her into my office.

“I love you very much. You are very special to me, but I cannot have disorder in my office. I suggest that you go to Bible School. I will pay your way through Bible College. I know you love God and God has his hand on your life.”

She cried. I cried. For weeks afterwards, it was like my office was a funeral home. I never realized my staff was so boring until she left! It was like death in the place. Months later, it dawned on me. I wanted her to be a coach but God had given her the personality of a cheerleader:

She was a motivator, not an educator.
Her gift was joy, not judgement.
Her gift was spontaneity, not structure.
Her gift was enthusiasm, not efficiency.

Since then I have tried hard to search for the dominant core gift of those near me. It is important to feed that gift, build on that gift and not become preoccupied with their weakness. Your circle of friends can offer you motivation, mentorship, correction, loyalty, or celebration. Nobody contains it all."

This is a powerful story that I need to re-read on a regular basis. If we are honest, I think we all have our own version of this story. Maybe we even a regular version with how we approach a child, a spouse, a parent. I immerse myself in strengths material on a daily basis. But it's so easy to slip into focusing on what someone is not instead of the amazing package of gifts they are.

Put the spotlight on the dominant strength of someone you live or work with today. Discover it with them. Describe it. Offer help in Developing It. And help them on to the appropriate stage, on to the chair that sits empty without their unique talent. Help them Deliver their gift today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coaching, Class, and Collaborator Comments

The Purpose of this letter is to describe the benefits I enjoyed from my coaching experience with Dale Cobb. I had a very specific issue, which I needed help getting over the hump with. Our conversations were very helpful in keeping me on track and getting me to the finish line. I believe that Dale is a keen observer of the human condition and has the ability to reflect back an individuals thoughts and goals as one strives for success. I found the services offered by Dale to be timely and effective. In the future, I am sure I will be presented with challenges that require outside assistance. When that time comes, I will not hesitate to call on Dale for his fresh bright and insightful guidance.

Joe Sexton, Managing Partner, CFR Executive Search, Chicago, Illinois

“Working with Dale has always been rewarding. Dale has always been on the leading edge developing new ways of marketing his products and services. Always willing to try new approaches and follow through... Always convincing.”

Fred Friday, Junk King Franchise Owner, Chattanooga, Tennessee

"Dale has always impressed me with his integrity, marketing insights, compassion and follow through. He thinks outside the box, asks the questions that others fail to ask and has a real heart for training others to be the best they can be. You can count on Dale."

Tim Turner, Owner Turner Strategic, Atlanta, Georgia

“Dale is always the most prepared person in the room. He has the ability to listen and clarify the issue at hand. He is a creative, caring leader. He has always been a joy to work with.”

Beverly Sherman, Owner Creative Connections, Lansing, Michigan

“I would like to take the opportunity to offer my recommendation for Dale Cobb. He has the remarkable ability to clearly listen to a problem, understand the issues and suggest a course of action that satisfies the needs of me and my clients. I cannot tell you how many times his advice was precisely what I needed to close a deal or carefully resolve a difficult situation. He is resourceful and creative in his teaching style. Over all he helped me to be more efficient and successful in my career.”

Michael Ward, Houston, Texas

“Dale gives attention to detail and runs one of the best team meetings I’ve ever seen. He has the keen ability to make complex things seems simple enough that anyone could understand them.”

Elwyn Henderson, Owner-Partner Mosaic Images, Gilmer, Texas

“Thank you for all your time and encouragement. With your advice and direction, I was able to get a decent job offer. They even complimented my resume.”

Ben Davidson, Visalia, CA