Thursday, December 29, 2011

Make Your Resolutions Strengths Oriented


Many of us are thinking about our goals and resolutions for the coming year. In a culture where most of us believe the myth that we will advance most by growing in an area of weakness, it's no surprise that our resolutions reflect that. Stop smoking, eat less, try to be more of something you're not.

I'm not suggesting that some of these goals aren't worthwhile. I am convinced that you'll make the most progress in 2012 if you re-focus on getting even better at the things you are already good at.

Try something different this year. Spend a few days pondering your greatest areas of talent, strength, gifting, aptitude etc... Come up with at least three and limit them to around five. Then consider how to spend more time working on those areas and making them world class.

If you want to pick on a weakness. Limit it to one resolution. Then consider how to marshall one or two strengths to either minimize the weakness or eliminate it altogether.

See if this approach doesn't energize you and keep you going way past February when most are already giving up till next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coaching, Class, and Collaborator Comments

The Purpose of this letter is to describe the benefits I enjoyed from my coaching experience with Dale Cobb. I had a very specific issue, which I needed help getting over the hump with. Our conversations were very helpful in keeping me on track and getting me to the finish line. I believe that Dale is a keen observer of the human condition and has the ability to reflect back an individuals thoughts and goals as one strives for success. I found the services offered by Dale to be timely and effective. In the future, I am sure I will be presented with challenges that require outside assistance. When that time comes, I will not hesitate to call on Dale for his fresh bright and insightful guidance.

Joe Sexton, Managing Partner, CFR Executive Search, Chicago, Illinois

“Working with Dale has always been rewarding. Dale has always been on the leading edge developing new ways of marketing his products and services. Always willing to try new approaches and follow through... Always convincing.”

Fred Friday, Junk King Franchise Owner, Chattanooga, Tennessee

"Dale has always impressed me with his integrity, marketing insights, compassion and follow through. He thinks outside the box, asks the questions that others fail to ask and has a real heart for training others to be the best they can be. You can count on Dale."

Tim Turner, Owner Turner Strategic, Atlanta, Georgia

“Dale is always the most prepared person in the room. He has the ability to listen and clarify the issue at hand. He is a creative, caring leader. He has always been a joy to work with.”

Beverly Sherman, Owner Creative Connections, Lansing, Michigan

“I would like to take the opportunity to offer my recommendation for Dale Cobb. He has the remarkable ability to clearly listen to a problem, understand the issues and suggest a course of action that satisfies the needs of me and my clients. I cannot tell you how many times his advice was precisely what I needed to close a deal or carefully resolve a difficult situation. He is resourceful and creative in his teaching style. Over all he helped me to be more efficient and successful in my career.”

Michael Ward, Houston, Texas

“Dale gives attention to detail and runs one of the best team meetings I’ve ever seen. He has the keen ability to make complex things seems simple enough that anyone could understand them.”

Elwyn Henderson, Owner-Partner Mosaic Images, Gilmer, Texas

“Thank you for all your time and encouragement. With your advice and direction, I was able to get a decent job offer. They even complimented my resume.”

Ben Davidson, Visalia, CA